AIA Connecticut Committees
Building Performance & Regulations (BP&R)
Focuses on code related issues as well as the performance of building materials for systems.
All AIA Connecticut members are invited to attend. Meetings are held at the offices of AIA Connecticut on the first Thursday of the month at 3:00 p.m., unless otherwise indicated. See Calendar for dates. (Schedule information subject to change.)
2018 Committee Chairs:
Paolo Campus, AIA
Alan S. Lagocki, AIA
The AIA Connecticut Building Performance Regulations Committee is sponsoring a new series of get-togethers for members—Brown Bag lunches—at AIA Connecticut on Fridays at 12:30 pm. These informal gatherings will give members a chance to discuss various code, accessibility, and performance topics in a collegial setting.
Bring you own lunch and AIA Connecticut will provide coffee.
All AIA Connecticut members are invited to attend. Registration is requested.
Presentation Materials Available for AIA Connecticut Members
BP&R Committee members have put together two presentations that are suitable for use for various community organizations such as library groups, Rotary Clubs, or Chambers of Commerce. AIA Connecticut members are encouraged to offer these short programs as a way to establish community relationships.
- Fundamentals of Accessibility (author, Linda Reeder, AIA)
- Fundamentals of Code Compliance (author, Tom Manning, AIA)
By way of introduction, we will customize the presentation by adding to the title slide your firm name and address and the name of the sponsoring organization, if applicable.
Contact AIA Connecticut, Email or call 203-865-2195, to request a copy of either of these PowerPoint Shows.
U.S. Access Board Issues Guidance on the International Symbol of Accessibility
New information from the U.S. Access Board on the use of alternative symbols.
The public comment schedule for the 2018 Connecticut State Building and Fire Codes has been announced. The notice for the public comment period will be released on January 2, 2018. The public hearing will be on January 24. Comment on all three proposed codes will be heard simultaneously in the Legislative Office Building, Hartford. The public comment period will end on February 16. The anticipated adoption date is proposed to be June 1 or July 1, 2018. Please watch for information on the time for these hearings.
The proposed 2018 State Building Code and 2018 State Fire Safety Code will amend the following model codes.
2015 International Building Code
2015 International Existing Building Code
2015 International Energy Conservation Code
2015 International Mechanical Code
2015 International Plumbing Code
2015 International Residential Code
2015 International Fire Code
2015 NFPA 101 Life Safety Code
2017 NFPA 70 National Electrical Code
2009 ANSI A117.1 Accessibility and Usable Building and Facility
The following sample Compliance Documents were developed by the Coalition for a Unified Code for use by design professionals, in support of State Building Officials, as an aid for compliance with the requirements of the new state energy code. The documents have no official status, and their use is purely voluntary.
These sample compliance documents, in the form of spreadsheets, may be placed on an early sheet of the project plans. Their use is intended to make the plan review process more efficient for the building official by showing the requirements of the code with which the design team intends to comply and by documenting the value of the performance characteristic for each element in the design. Having the code requirements and the value of the performance characteristics on the plans will aid contractors when they are suggesting alternates for the project.
The building official may ask for the supporting documentation and calculations as he or she sees fit (unless required in the code), and the design team can use whatever tool they wish to calculate and document compliance with the code.
2012 International Energy Conservation Code Sample Compliance Forms
- Connecticut 90_1-2010 Compliance -Excel 97-2003 format (PDF)
- Connecticut 90_1-2010 ECB Compliance -Excel 97-2003 format (PDF)
- Connecticut 2012 IECC Compliance -Excel 97-2003 format (PDF)
- Connecticut 2012 IECC TBP Compliance -Excel 97-2003 format (PDF)
2009 International Energy Conservation Code Sample Compliance Forms
- Connecticut 90.1-2007 Compliance -PDF (Excel 97-2003 format)
- Connecticut 90.1-2007 ECB Compliance -PDF (Excel 97-2003 format)
- Connecticut 2009 IECC Compliance -PDF (Excel 97-2003 format)
- Connecticut 2009 IECC TBP Compliance -PDF (Excel 97-2003 format)
- Instructions for Compliance Spreadsheet May 19 2011 -PDF
Office of the State Building Inspector and Office of the State Fire Marshal
High Performance Building Construction Standards
- Regulation 16a-38k-1 through 9
- Connecticut Building Standard Guidelines Compliance Manual for High Performance Buildings Manual
Miscellaneous Regulations and Recommendations
- Flood Recovery Guidelines
- Carbon Monixide Detectors in Schools, Connecticut Public Act 11-248
- Connecticut Air Quality Regs
- Connecticut Statutes RE Adhesives and Sealants
- Section 22a-174-41 Architectural and Maintenance Coatings
- Sections 40 and 41 Fact Sheet 2008
State regulations regarding VOCs: