Milestones of AIA Connecticut
1902 Seven Connecticut AIA members formed the Connecticut Chapter (CCAIA).
1915 Architectural education program began at Yale University.
1933 “An Act Providing for the Licensing of Architects” became effective in Connecticut.
1940 Last section of Merritt Parkway opened. Its 35 bridges had been designed by George Dunkelberger, AIA.
1942 Connecticut Society of Architects formed to provide a low-cost independent society.
1947 First Connecticut State Building Code published by the State Housing Authority. Code was offered for optional adoption by local jurisdictions.
1949 AIA’s Annual Honor Awards program began.
1955 Connecticut Historical Commission established to coordinate Bicentennial Celebration, operate and improve state museums and help preserve the state’s architectural, historical and archeological resources.
1961 CCAIA opened an office in New Haven.
1962 CCAIA initiated annual Design Awards program.
1966 CCAIA and CSA consolidated as “Connecticut Society of Architects, a Chapter of the American Institute of Architects”(CSA/AIA). CSA/AIA office opened in Guilford with Hugh McK. Jones, Jr., FAIA as Executive Director.
1967 A statewide uniform building code and supporting system was legislated, thanks to the efforts of Russell L. Stecker (later FAIA) of Simsbury.
1968 CSA/AIA moved to Hamden with Charles P. Randall as its second Executive Director. Federal legislation passed requiring all new federal buildings to be accessible to handicapped persons.
1969 CSA/AIA and Connecticut Engineers in Private Practice jointly supported legislation establishing a seven-year Statute of Limitations.
1970 CSA/AIA moved to a new office on Temple Street, New Haven. Peter Borgemeister appointed Executive Director of CSA/AIA.
1975 CSA/AIA moved to Willow Street, New Haven.
1978 Connecticut Architecture Foundation was established, with Willis N. Mills, Jr., (later FAIA) as President.
1985 Judy Edwards became CSA/AIA Executive Vice President.
1988 Donald Vigneau, Connecticut’s first architect appointed to the position of State Building Inspector.
1992 Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) became effective. “Milestone” event celebrating 90 years of the AIA chapter, 50 years of CSA, and 30 years of the Design Awards. CSA/AIA changed its name to AIA Connecticut.
1994 AIA Connecticut moved its office to 87 Willow Street, New Haven.
1996 First Annual Joint Industry Dinner
1998 Diane Harp Jones became Executive Vice President
1999 Formation of Past Presidents’ Council
2002 AIA Connecticut celebrates 100 years!
2008 AIA Connecticut moved its office to its present location at 370 James Street, New Haven.