Connecticut Treasures 2017 Award
In 2017, the Connecticut Treasures competition focused on Connecticut campus architecture at secondary and university levels, in order to bring to the public’s attention the wide range of beautiful and functional educational campuses throughout the state.
(Click each image for larger view.)
Description: Designed by Centerbrook Architects, this Biomass Heating Facility signifies the school’s commitment to becoming carbon-neutral. The facility burns sustainably-harvested woodchips to heat the campus and is the central heating plant for the 85 existing campus buildings. Its undulating green roof gently merges with the landscape and stands out as an iconic landmark. The vegetated roof combines with a bio-swale/rain garden system to absorb rainwater and filter runoff before returning it to the ground.
Notable Buildings from Other State Counties
Description: When seen from the air, Greenwich Academy Upper School, designed by SOM Architects, is an arrangement of four trapezoidal glass volumes tied together by a green roof and penetrating through it. From inside, the glass volumes provide clerestory light as well as views into interior spaces. Built in 2002, the building plan represents interaction of the four academic components, science, math, arts and humanities, and the library. Each of the glass volumes is lit a unique color according to a scheme by the light artist, James Turrell. The building also features movable walls and furniture allowing for multiple learning configurations.
Description: The u-shaped cultural center, designed by Tai Soo Kim Partners and constructed in 1987, is arranged with the library at its central core. The 145,000 sq. ft. building’s wings extend to create links to the music and the art schools, the Joseloff Art Gallery, and the architecture department. The Center defines a central campus green.
Description: Wesleyan University’s Fayerweather Gymnasium was built in 1894 with funds for its construction provided through a bequest from Daniel B. Fayerweather, a leather business tycoon who donated to Methodist institutions. The Romanesque Revival style building was designed by architect J. Cleaveland Cady, who also designed the south wing of New York City’s American Museum of Natural History and buildings at Williams College and Yale University. No longer used as a gymnasium, Fayerweather Hall has been restored to its 1894 dimensions to complement the adjacent construction of the Usdan University Center.
Description: Situated at the west edge of Yale’s campus are the Morse and Stiles Colleges, which were designed by Eero Saarinen and built in 1961, one of his last commissions before his death in 1962. The colleges have recently been renovated top-to-bottom by Kiernan Timberlake Architects. Modern re-interpretations of the University’s ‘residential college’ dormitories, they are composed of many buildings and courtyards of various sizes. Morse and Stiles are easily recognized by exterior cast-in-place concrete walls with embedded stones and slender windows meant to play off the many surrounding neo-gothic structures.
Description: The 19th century Branford House at Avery Point was built by Morton Freemen Plant and named after his hometown of Branford, Connecticut; his wife, Nellie Plant was responsible for the design, which acknowledges the Newport Mansions. Initially serving as a “summer cottage,” it was built to the Tudor style with Gothic, Baroque, Renaissance and Flemish elements in the interior. In 1984 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. It was used by the United States Coast Guard for administrative purposes until 1967, when the property was acquired by the State of Connecticut and began its next life as a satellite campus for the University of Connecticut.
Description: Built in 2011-2012, Laurel and Oak Halls, the University of Connecticut’s Social Science Buildings, were designed by Leers Weinzapfel Architects, Boston. Their interior and exterior materials, particularly the exterior veneer of brick and vertical-seam copper, are noteworthy, and the excellent landscaping scheme, which provides new, connected courtyards and a series of memorable outdoor spaces, is inviting.
Description: The George Newhall Clark ’04 Memorial Chapel, designed by architect Ernest Flagg, was dedicated in 1908. The chapel contains fine stained glass windows known to have been created by American firms Heaton, Butler & Bayne, Connick Associates, and Nicola D’Ascenzo. The ten-foot-high rose window above the chapel doorway and two of the arched-top, oblong windows along the walls are from the 13th century cathedral of Saint Julien, Tours, France. The arch tops on the two oblong windows were added at a later date to match the others in the chapel. The ancient windows were donated as a memorial in 1947.