Marketing & Communications
AIA Connecticut to host New England’s Premier Architectural Conference at Mohegan Sun
For Immediate Release
New Haven, CT July 30, 2019 – The Connecticut Architecture Conference + Expo (CACX) is a brand new, fully revamped event that brings together the architectural industry in the New England area. Formally a one-day conference specifically for Connecticut architects, the American Institute of Architects, Connecticut has extended the event an extra day. The event now encompasses two well-known keynote speakers, over forty continuing educations sessions led by peers, and an exhibitor hall for vendors and associations, all at the Mohegan Sun Earth Expo and Convention Center on September 12th and 13th.
“This year’s conference opens the doors to all in the architecture, engineering and construction fields with trendsetters, and influencers speaking on issues affecting the built-environment,” said Gina Calabro, Executive Director of AIA Connecticut. “We expect this conference to attract industry leaders and young professionals from all of New England.
Thursday the 12th, launches the official start of CACX, sponsored by Sherwin Williams, with the first of two keynote speakers, Jared Della Valle, FAIA, of Alloy in New York City. Jared’s work has been the subject of more than 50 articles and publications including a monograph entitled “Think/Make” published by Princeton Architecture Press. The conference’s second keynote on Friday is Rosa Sheng, FAIA, a featured speaker in various media outlets such as The Wall Street Journal and TEDx. Specifically, Rosa’s work in the Equity of Architecture Movement has inspired many.
The 42 programs offered over the two days by leaders in the AEC industries cover Sustainability, Urban Planning & Development, Design, Technology, Energy, and Current Industry Trends and include the following:
- Hartford CT: A new Urbanism Case Study presented by Sara Bronin, AIA;
- Sustainability Goals and Green Buildings/ High Performance Standards: How do you Choose? A panel discussion with Melissa Kops, AIA; Katie Symonds, AIA; Blake Jackson, AIA; Ilona Prosol and Dylan Martello;
- Obstacles to Success in the Construction Industry in CT presented by Mat Pelletier;
- Brownfield Redevelopment as a Strategy for Urban Renewal in Connecticut, a panel discussion with Maria Chrysochoou, PhD, UCONN, David Kooris, John Chambers, Cynthia Retalick;
- Mass Timber: A New Paradigm presented by Jim DeStefano, AIA and Tanya Luthi; and
- Designing with Time in the New England Landscape presented by Natasha Andjelic, PLA, ASLA and Sean Ragan PLA, ASLA
Underwriters for the event include Michael Halebian and Company, Citrin Cooperman, Team IMI, Elevator Service Company, United BIM, ScanX 3D, and Network Framing Solutions.
About the American Institute of Architects, Connecticut
Since 1905, AIA Connecticut has served the architectural profession, encouraging design excellence, working to improve society through a concern for the quality of the built and natural environments. AIA Connecticut serves as a resource to architects and the public. Our membership of over 1,500 is comprised of architects, architectural designers working towards licensure, students, and professionals in allied fields.
For more information, visit AIA Connecticut’s website at https://aiact.org/2019-conference-and-expo