Connecticut Treasures, formerly a part of the People’s Choice program, features the wealth and diversity of buildings from each of the eight Connecticut counties. The public is invited every year to vote for a favorite building for this state-wide award.
2022 Voting takes place July 18th - July 22nd
Since 1922, the Cos Cob Volunteer Fire Company has been an integral part of the Greenwich community. Our mission is to protect the lives and property of the citizens of Greenwich in regard to fire, medical and environmental emergencies through education, enforcement of code and the dedicated efforts of our highly trained and competent professional volunteers.
The fire company is comprised of active members who are State of Connecticut trained and certified firefighters, responsible for responding to and handling incidents related to fire suppression, hazardous materials, motor vehicle extrication and medical emergencies.
The Fire Museum is located at 230 Pine St., at the corner of Pine St. and Hartford Rd. It occupies a historic fire station, built in 1901 to serve the Cheney Silk Mill complex and the surrounding neighborhoods. The museum is operated by The Connecticut Firemen’s Historical Society, a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving and displaying the history of firefighting in America with a special emphasis on Connecticut.
The museum was established in 1979 and now includes many types of firefighting apparatus, from early hand drawn hose reels to horse drawn equipment to a 1921 Ahrens Fox pumper. Other displays show early rope nets to catch jumpers from high rise buildings, leather water buckets used by volunteer bucket brigades, helmets and uniforms, a unique badge collection, and models of modern and antique fire trucks. There are still horseshoe marks on the floor from the time when the ladder and pumper equipment was pulled by horses.
The latest exhibit is the 1911 Hartford Water Tower, one of only a very few still in existence. The Water Tower was originally horse drawn, but in 1914 the Hartford Fire Dept. motorized it by adding a gasoline- electric tractor in place of the horses. The mast on the Tower is 55 feet high and is spring raised. The Tower has been completely restored and is once again in operating condition.
The Hose and Hook and Ladder Truck Building in Thomaston, also known as the Thomaston Firehouse, was built on Main Street in 1882-1883.
Using brick produced by the Seth Thomas family brickyard nearby, it was designed by architect Robert Wakeman Hill, who also made the plans for the Thomaston Town Hall and Opera House built next door in 1884 (photo below).
The firehouse was designed to accommodate two separate volunteer companies, Hook & Ladder Company No. 1 and Hose Company No. 2, and therefore had two separate entrances, two stairways and two social rooms.
The Firehouse continued in use until 1979, when a new firehouse was built in town. Still owned by the town, the building’s interior was remodeled, and it served as a teen center for a time. The facility is currently being shared with Fine Arts Connection, a local nonprofit, and Landmark Community Theater.
The Central Fire Station, later called the Main Street Fire House, at 533 Main Street in Middletown, was built in 1899 during the era of horse drawn fire coaches.
There is a hosedrying tower on the building’s northwest corner. It has been continuously used by the Middletown Fire Department ever since and its Renaissance Revival design has made it a notable landmark of the north section of Main Street.
The Meriden Fire Department was founded in 1851 in an area called West Meriden located near and just west of the railroad line. As the city industrialized and grew, so did the need for increased fire protection. Fire companies were organized in the neighborhoods that surrounded the factories and businesses in the center of the town.
Parker Hose Engine Company 3 has been serving the uptown and southeast areas of the City since 1869 on School Street across from St. Rose Church, relocating in 1877 to 303 East Main Street and then to its present quarters at 561 Broad Street in 1889
Station 3 underwent renovation in 1996, adding a new engine house and creating new space for the department’s headquarters.
Located in the western-most section in the Town of Norwich, the Yantic Fire Engine Co. was established in 1847 to protect the now vacant Yantic Woolen Mill and surrounding Yantic village. With time our service area grew to include the areas and villages of Bean Hill, Plain Hill, and the original settlement of the town - Norwichtown. In modern times we provide mutual aid and F.A.S.T. coverage to the other Norwich departments as well as departments in the towns of Franklin, Bozrah, Baltic, and beyond. Besides fire, our services include first-response care to medical calls for service, as well as technical rescue for motor vehicle accidents, confined space & high angle situations, and a coordinated response with other Norwich departments for water search & rescue. We operate at the Hazardous Materials - Operational level, utilizing mutual aid for any higher-level Hazardous Materials incidents.
Our firehouse is one of the oldest in the state, as well as in the country. Since our inception in 1847 we have remained in the same location, and after a fire in 1907 the firehouse was rebuilt to what it is now - with some changes over the years of course! We own not only the firehouse itself, but a 5-acre field which overlooks the river. Before the pandemic, we rented both the field and our hall above the engine bay to the public for numerous functions, most notably the annual Norwich Duck Races, and Bid's Tavern's annual reunion.
The North Coventry Fire Department was one of two fire companies that served the Town of Coventry, Connecticut. North Coventry merged with Coventry Volunteer Fire Association to form the Town of Coventry Fire-EMS Department in 2020.
The Town of Coventry Fire-EMS Department provides fire protection and emergency response services to the Coventry community. The Fire Department's mission is to prevent the loss of life and property. In addition to responding to fires, the department also responds to medical emergencies, motor vehicle accidents, rescue calls, and incidents involving hazardous materials.
The 11,000 square foot station, known as Station 218, is a Coventry landmark. It includes eight bays of apparatus space and 6,000 square feet of office space.
The Danielson Fire Department originated around 1829. The first company formed was “The Enterprise Fire Engine Company”, four years later eight men were added from the factory village in Brooklyn. In 1854 a charter for the Borough of Danielson was issued, primarily to establish a fire department organized later that year, Danielson Fire Department.
Before the construction of the new fire house in 1905 each company was located in a different building. “Minnetexit Hose No.1” on center street, “Pioneer Hose No.2” on water street, “Rough and Ready Hose No.3” on Broad Street, “Rattler Hook and Ladder Co.” in the Borough Hall, and “General Putnam Steamer No.1” also in the Borough Hall. At this point in the department’s history water was supplied through a water main to 50 hydrants.
In 1905 the Borough voted to build a fire house on the corner of Academy St. and School St along with a box alarm system in the Borough. The station was completed in 1908; all of the fire apparatus with the exception of the Rough & Ready Hose Co. were moved into the new station. Over the years new equipment was purchased and in 2015 work on the 106-year-old station rehabilitation was complete. But in order to qualify for funding from the state Department of Economic and Community Development's Historic Preservation Office, the borough was required to create and staff a small museum for the next 20 years which must be open for two hours one day each month.
Vote for your favorite firehouse below! If the form is not working for you, click here.
Deadline is July 22nd at 11:59pm.