The Connecticut Chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA Connecticut) announced the 2022 Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (J.E.D.I.) awards and acknowledged the 29 firms that have taken the J.E.D.I. Pledge at their annual awards gala on November 15th at the Grand Oak Villa in Oakville, CT.
Launched in November 2020, the Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Pledge was envisioned to offer AIA Connecticut Member Firms a roadmap to actively produce results, both short term and long term in making a commitment to:
- JUSTICE in acknowledging and denouncing racism and sexism, removing barriers to opportunities, and promoting the success of all individuals in the profession.
- EQUITY in providing balanced resources and opportunities to ensure every practitioner can reach an equal outcome.
- DIVERSITY in encompassing an array of practitioners who represent varied experiences and perspectives.
- INCLUSION in fostering a sense of belonging for all voices and perspectives to feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued to fully participate.
Three architecture firms of the 29 that have taken the pledge (by firm size) stood out for their outstanding strategies and efforts in creating an environment for the future of the architecture practice and were awarded a 2022 J.E.D.I Crystal Award. These firms provided exemplary equitable opportunities and staff development resources allowing for future success.
- Small Firm (10 or less employees) – Patriquin Architects, New Haven, CT
- Medium Firm (11 to 50 employees) – Pickard Chilton, New Haven, CT
- Large Firm (50+ employees) – JCJ Architecture, Hartford, CT
The twenty-nine firms (up 18 from the previous year) who made the J.E.D.I. commitment to embrace these principles to make a difference and were acknowledged at the event as well for their dedication.
- Amenta Emma Architects, Hartford, CT
- Bruce J. Spiewak, AIA, Consulting Architect, LLC, West Haven, CT
- Centerbrook Architects & Planners, Centerbrook, CT
- CPG Architects, Stamford, CT
- Crosskey Architects, LLC, Hartford, CT
- Dean Sakamoto Architects, New Haven, CT
- Doyle Coffin Architecture, Ridgefield, CT
- Fuss & O'Neill, New Haven, CT
- Goren Architecture + Design, Westport CT
- Happy Haus Design, LLC, Stamford, CT
- Hoffmann Architects, Hamden, CT
- Huestis Tucker Architects, Woodbridge, CT
- Integrated Design Construction, Hamden, CT
- JCJ Architecture, Hartford, CT
- John Jones Architects, LLC, Westport, CT
- Kaestle Boos Associates, New Britain, CT
- Maier Design Group, LLC, Hartford, CT
- Newman Architects, PC, New Haven, CT
- Patriquin Architects, New Haven, CT
- Perkins Eastman Architects, Stamford, CT
- Pickard Chilton Architects, New Haven, CT
- Pirie Associates, New Haven, CT
- QA+ M Architecture, Farmington, CT
- Ramiz Khoda Consulting & Design, Hartford, CT
- Rountree Architects, Westport CT
- Svigals + Partners, New Haven, CT
- The S/L/A/M Collaborative, Glastonbury, CT
- TLB Architecture, Chester, CT
- TSKP Studios, Hartford, CT
Additional information about the J.E.D.I. Pledge is available at https://aiact.org/committees/diversity-equity-inclusion-community/
About AIA Connecticut:
AIA Connecticut, a statewide chapter of the American Institute of Architects, serves the architectural profession, encourages design excellence, and works to improve society through a concern for the quality of the built and natural environments. Members commit themselves to the highest standards of practice and code of ethics that addresses responsibilities to the public, clients, the building industry, and the art and science of architecture.
AIA Connecticut serves as a resource to architects and the public. Its membership of over 1,500 is comprised of architects, associates working towards licensure, students, and professionals in affiliated fields.
For more information, visit AIA Connecticut’s website at www.aiact.org