The Sustainable Architecture awards program is to recognize the efforts of licensed architects who have developed and demonstrated ways to decrease Green House Gases, reduce energy use and demand, and conserve water use in the built or unbuilt environment. Equally important is the creation of durable, comfortable and healthy spaces. The award attempts to raise the public awareness of the current climate crisis and the massive role played by construction, maintenance, and operations of the built environment.
The Sustainable Architecture Award also honors the climate change initiatives of AIA Connecticut and Connecticut Passive House to secure a more sustainable and environmentally thriving future.
Melissa Kops, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, LFA Pirie Associates
Bruce Becker, FAIA, AICP, LEED AP Becker + Becker Associates
Larry Jones, LEED Fellow Atelier Ten USA, LLC
Registration Open: April 22, 2020
Registration Deadline: June 12, 2020
Submission Open: April 22, 2020
Submission Deadline: June 26, 2020
Jury Day: July 16, 2020
Projects of any building type. They can be in Connecticut or elsewhere but must be designed by Connecticut-based architects. The design must be stated and the metrics of the success must be measured. They include, but are not limited to:
- Yearly energy used (Low Energy Designs) or generated (Energy Positive Designs)
- Air changes per hour @ 50 Pascal (blower door test results)
- Materials & methods used for insulation
- Materials & methods used for construction
- Any other metrics that demonstrates the concept
Projects are to have been completed within the last 3 years.
Projects should fit into one of the following categories:
- New Construction (Built)
- Renovations, Adaptive Re-Use or Retro-Fits (Built)
- Conceptual or Research-Based Projects (Built or Unbuilt)
Projects can be designed to – or – certified by voluntary green building standards:
- Passive House (Phi or PhiUS)
- Living Building Challenge
- Green Globes
- Energy Star
- Or others
AIA Member/Passive House Registered Architect : $100.00
Non-AIA Member Registered Architect: $250.00
Project Description: 500-word including site-information, context and square footage.
- Built: built architectural projects, may be a single building, a related group of buildings, interior architecture, additions, restorations, or adaptive use projects. Identify building type and provide brief project description. You may include project concept, program and client requirements, context and site information, special constraints, project total square feet, year of completion, construction budget or cost, and any design challenges and solutions. List construction type, materials, mechanical systems and other pertinent technical data.
- Unbuilt: unbuilt architectural design, for which there is no current intent to build, including purely theoretical, visionary projects, with or without a client. Identify project type and provide brief project information. You may include such data as project concept; program and client requirements; context and site information; constraints or any design challenges; and total project square footage.
Photographs: maximum of eight (8) (JPG at a minimum of 150 dpi, maximum size 1536 px X 1024 px)
- All photography permissions and releases are the responsibility of the architect whose project has been selected. The required photography release form will be forwarded with submission instructions. One jury will judge all categories.
- Submitting architect must be the Architect of Record, crediting any other contributing architectural firm, and must be licensed and residing in Connecticut.
Registration deadline: June 12, 2020
Submission deadline: June 26, 2020