On March 12, 2019, Martin Benassi AIA, Bill Silver, AIA and Alan Lagocki, AIA representing the Connecticut Architecture Foundation met at the CT Science and Engineering Fair site at Quinnipiac University to judge projects in two special awards categories: Innovation in Building Performance and Innovation in Building Sustainability.
One project stood out to the judges and was award both the Innovation in Building Performance Award and the Innovation in Building Sustainability Award. The team of Victoria St. Peter, Alyssa Ciarleglio and Johanatis Rivera from Platt Technical High School in Milford for their project, Natural Disaster Relief Housing. They designed cost effective natural disaster relief housing that could be easily transported and is reusable.
Past Science Fair Winners
- For the Innovation in Building Performance Award, the winning project was awarded to Andrew Chen from Greens Farms Academy in Westport. Andrew’s design was of a home with embedded safety pods and emergency resources in the event of a natural disaster such as an earthquake. The home design was a geodesic dome.
- For the Innovation in Building Sustainability Award, the winning project from the team of Chris Rinaldi, Jean Pasato, and Vishakh Talanki from the Academy of Aerospace and Engineering in Windsor. Their project was the investigation of wind turbine spacing that would optimize the wind downstream of each turbine. The design was very organic in nature, resembling a large tree.
- Kamila Krawczuk St. Paul Catholic High School, Bristol A Novel Approach to Help Households Use Less Water
- Lachlan Rosato Brunswick School, Greenwich Improving Standard of Living for Refugees: Use of recycled materials to modify internal temperature and dryness, and to provide electricity and water to tented housing
- Mia Langston and Abigail LoPresti J.F. Kennedy Middle School, Plantsville Structure vs. Nature: The Effect of Landslide Duration on Different House Structures
- Ashely Garland Glastonbury High School Financially Superior Energy Source for Subterranean Inhabitants