THE CONNECTICUT CHAPTER OF THE AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF ARCHITECTS
The Alice Washburn Awards
Connecticut is rich with architectural traditions that provide cultural continuity. Traditions are defined by a wide variety of underlying styles, including, but not limited to, Colonial, Georgian, Greek Revival, Queen Anne, Shingle and Vernacular. This award is named for the distinguished Connecticut residential architect Alice Washburn, an early 20th century Connecticut designer and builder, largely self-taught, whose work is known for its thoughtful stylistic and programmatic invention. The Connecticut Chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA Connecticut) Alice Washburn Award program is to acknowledge excellence in traditional house design. Winners are honored in three categories: new construction, accessory buildings, and additions/renovations.
Jurors: Rachel D. Carley
Achitectural Historian and Preservation Consultant
Walter Chatham, FAIA
Walter F. Chatham Architects
Jennifer A. Huestis, AIA
Huestis Tucker Architects, LLC
This original 1800’s Farmhouse located on Buttery Road, once part of a larger dairy farm. The farmhouse shell, stone foundation, some flooring and mantle remained. After years of idiosyncratic additions, we re-imagined a unified home, emphasizing the farmhouse character and materiality. We analyzed the sequence and flow of the public and private spaces into a “Connected Farmhouse”. Porches added for scale and transition to layer and clue new pathways.
This French Eclectic cottage, built in 1931, is a former residence of renowned architect Philip Goodwin, who is known to have designed its 1953 additions, and is suspected to have designed the original cottage. In the spirit of Goodwin’s pinwheel design, the addition extends an existing gable to create a live-in kitchen where his original façade is preserved within the space. The addition presents a long, low wall to the house’s formal entry court, finishing with the integration of the original pump house. On the lower, southern side, a new hipped roof covers a family entry, laundry, and mudroom aka dog room, and wraps a kitchen garden. The original kitchen is repurposed as a book collector’s library.
The clients had purchased a scenic 88-acre farm as a weekend retreat. The property was blessed with a series of distinguished antique barns but was cursed with a suburban 1960’s garage. The clients asked the architects to create a “new old barn” which would complement the surrounding antique structures and serve as a home to two much-loved antique cars.
Special Commendation for Sensitivity to Preservation:
The Gores Pavilion for the Arts in Irwin Park was originally a pool house designed by Landis Gores, one of the “Harvard Five” architects, for the Irwin family. The Irwin estate was purchased by the town of New Canaan to be used as a public park. A group of preservationists, under the auspices of The New Canaan Historical Society, raised private donations for the buildings restoration. The program was to create a period mid-century modern room and art galleries devoted to modern art and open to the public.
Situated on a small peninsula, with a sweeping water view into the Long Island Sound, this contemporary family compound is comprised of an ensemble of traditional New England forms. The interior finishes are clean and deliberately void of moldings in order to accommodate the client’s vast collection of contemporary art. The exterior is a pallet of soft grays, with individually hand painted shingles giving the appearance of a naturally aged patina.